Monday, January 21, 2008

Post crash, 1 year later

I don't remember much from the ambulance ride. Whatever that stuff was that they injected into me not only took the pain away but also knocked me out, that and the concussion. At the hospital I remember being so hungry and craving salt that I asked for salted peanuts and macadamias, two of my favorite comfort foods. No luck, there were lots of tests and scans to be done and by the time I was allowed to eat all they could give me was Jello. My craving for the salty foods was so bad I practically begged for chips, leftover bacon, anything salty, even those ubiquitous saltine crackers. They gave me chicken broth, the healthy kind, the kind with NO SALT! My dessert was a can of 7-Up. By this time they had set me up with IV nutrition and medication. This kept me quiet for a while. Friends and family came to visit later that day. Being loopy and having lost my inhibition due to certain pain meds I proceeded to make an ass of myself by making really stupid jokes and strange remarks. My family often reminds of these remarks.

That evening I was lucid enough to speak with the neuro & ortho docs, they gave me a brief but thorough diagnosis, consultation and prognosis. I couldn't believe what they told me! Multiple fractures?!?! I had never even broken a bone before. In my semi-stupored state I thought -- must be some mistake, it doesn't even hurt. They reminded me that the medication will wear off and that if I needed something for the "discomfort" I can buzz the nurse. A couple of hours later I could not keep my hands off the buzzer!

The only part of my injuries that I could relate to was the road rash. Probably why I was so fixated on how bad it must be under all the bandages. It's almost funny now because the road rashes were the first and easiest to heal.

No comments: